When we first started homeschooling and people asked which school my four kids attended I would kind of mumble the words “We’re homeschoolers” under my breath. Saying they didn’t go to school and sit in a classroom all day just seemed weird. Two years later and I’ve come to adore the label of “weird homeschooler.” As proud as I am of our families educational choices it is nice when my kids can see our lifestyle reflected in the books they read. I set out on a mission to uncover some children’s books that feature homeschoolers.
Reading books featuring homeschoolers make my little homeschoolers feel connected!
Homeschooling is becoming more mainstream all the time and I was shocked at the amount of books I was able to find that feature homeschoolers as characters.
How homeschool is portrayed in these books varies as wildly as homeschool does in real life. I love that. Homeschool looks different in every family!
This post does contain affiliate links.
I have not read every book on this list in its entirety. Take my recommendations with a grain of salt and check them out for yourself! I know my library hold list will be hopping with these titles!
Classic Books Featuring Homeschoolers
There are also a great number of classic books that feature homeschooled students as main characters. Once upon a time ALL students were homeschooled. Hundreds of years ago learning at home, by doing and watching, was how all skills were passed along to the next generation. Many of these classic books do not present homeschool as “thing.” It’s not trendy or an educational or religious choice; learning at home was just a way of life.
There are too many to list but here are some of our favorite classic books featuring homeschoolers. Check out these great choices for family read aloud!
- The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking- This edition features all three tales including Pippi Longstocking, Pippi Goes on Board, and Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lindgren
- The Box Car Children Series by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- Nim’s Island by Wendy Orr & Kerry Millard
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri & Maja Dusikova
- The Mixed up Files of Mrs.Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
- The Little House on the Prairie, series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia Maclachlan
- The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
- Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl
Occasionally some of these books (especially the classics) are super cheap or even free on Amazon Kindle Unlimited. Try a month for free and start your unlimited reading!